Thursday, May 31, 2012
Texas
Going back to the States is always weird. It just seems like a completely different world. The people are different, the buildings are different, the language is different, the speed limit/driving is different, and weather is different. Most things are different, and that's why everytime I come back I have this feeling of being out of touch with everything going on. The layover going to Texas was in Atlanta and I remember feeling sooo, I don't know, out of place? Everyone was speaking English and here I am wanting to say, "Danke" for someone doing something for me. It's just a weird feeling! But, I also feel at home, too. I also feel the familiarity. The streets are familiar, the people I see are familiar, the buildings are familiar, the weather is familiar, and the language is familiar. The green trees and grass, however, were not so familiar (at least since the last time I made it back to Texas).
When I landed, I was so excited to see my mom and get to Waco. As I stepped outside, I was overwhelmed with heat, but the only thing I thought was, "I can't wait to wear all of my dresses!" You see, I am a dress kind of girl and would wear one everyday if I could, but in Germany the chance to wear one doesn't happen often but for maybe 2-3 months out of the year. My main reason for going to Texas was to throw Casey a bridal shower before her wedding in September. There was no way I was going to do it any later than April/May because we have people coming to visit almost every month for the rest of the year!
I arrived on Thursday and was able to see Nanny, Casey, Ben, & Buckley, Chelsea & Tom, and my mom of course. Friday afternoon was spent with Nanny and Friday evening we went to go eat some Tex-Mex and then see Titanic 3D! It was good seeing the movie again, but the 3D didn't seem to make much of a difference!
On Saturday and Sunday I spent a lot of time just hanging out with everyone. A spent a few nights with Nanny and had some of her yummy cooking, and on Sunday afternoon we went to the Baylor baseball game and watched them beat A&M! Sic'em Bears! Oh, and by the way, we beat A&M in all THREE games that weekend! Yup...it was so much fun!
On Monday I ran some errands with Nanny and went to get a facial from Casey at Facelogic! It was a-mazing and so relaxing...wish I could get one more often! On Tuesday I drove down to West (Texas), picked up some kolaches from the Czech bakery, and went to the cemetary to visit with Deddy and Grandpa. It was a beautiful day outside and no one else was in the cemetary. It felt good to spend some time alone with them. I miss them so much!
On Wednesday I met up with one of my friends from undergrad and grad school! I was able to see her super awesome new office and eat lunch with her! It was so good catching up. I can't believe it has already been two years since MSW graduation!
After eating lunch with Katie, I went back to my mom's house and packed quickly for Fredericksburg! Ben, Casey, and I went to see Deb & Clip (my in-laws) for a couple of days. It was so good seeing them. Debbie's birthday was on that Thursday so I was able to celebrate her birthday with her. Brandon's aunt, Barb, also come over with her mom (who recently turned 97!) and we all celebrated both of their birthdays! It was wonderful seeing everyone. Brandon and I get to see Deb and Clip here in a couple of weeks when they come visit!
We drove back to Waco that Friday and I went to see the Hunger Games movie for the second time (Brandon and I saw it over here a few weeks after it came out) and I have to say it was much better the second time around. I didn't have tons of crazy teenagers sitting around me making a lot of noise this time! Of course, the books are tens times better than the movie, but that's how it usually is.
On Saturday Ben grilled some amazing food for lunch and we hung out at their apartment for a while. After that, Chels and I started working hard to get ready for Casey's shower the next day!! We made several trips to Hobby Lobby (a store I miss SO much) and spent hours cleaning and getting ready for the next morning! Pam and Cecil (my aunt and uncle) came down for the shower and arrived on that Saturday, so we were able to see and hang out with them for a while, too. The shower turned out lovely and I think Casey really enjoyed it. Thanks so much to the Blanek family for catering! They also catered for Brandon and I's wedding back in 2010. Always yummy, delicious food.
I was also able to spend some time catching up with some "old friends." I have known this ladies since forever ago. SO good seeing them. Can't WAIT until they come over here to visit! *Hint*Hint*
Tom made us all some yummy pizza later that night and I was able to spend some good time with another amazing friend who is visiting in Decemeber!!! :)
On my last full day in Texas, Breann, Casey, and I ran a bunch of errands and ate at Nifas later that evening. Melissa stopped by for a quick visit, as well. It was so good to see her! Her and Larry will be visiting in August!!
It was so nice spending time with family and friends. I definitely miss everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment