Thursday, February 2, 2012

Welcome Home Sam!

Wow! Lots of things going on. Before I talk about our Praha trip and things going on, I have someone to introduce to you!

This is Samson (Sam)! He is a horse. Not really, but he is huge! Benson seems so small compared to Sam!





He was welcomed into our family Wednesday evening within just a couple of hours of finding out about him. I am a part of "Dog Community Graf" on facebook (a community facebook page for the dog community that Brandon and I live in). Anyway, sometimes they post pictures of dogs that need forever homes because they were abandoned by their owners. German animal shelters won't even let Americans adopt anymore because most of their dogs/pets were/are abandoned by Americans. So sad. Anyway, Sam was found on post and brought to the MP (military police) station. After Dog Community Graf found out, they quickly put a post on the page to see if anyone would foster him until he found a forever home. This way the dog is less likely to go to the animal shelter. Anyway, I saw the post, called Brandon who was still at work and asked him what he thought. Well, as you can tell...he wanted Sam to come home with us. I told him that it was his decision since I picked Benson and he wanted a German Shepherd. We think he is a German Shepherd mix. He is 3-4 years old and weighs 94 pounds! He had a vet appointment Friday morning and received all of his shots (just in case) and a wellness check up. He came with no tags and no records. So so sad. He is very gentle and sweet. He will come up to you and lay his head on you or lick your face. Such a sweetheat. Him and Benson seem to be getting along well. Benson is just so playful and Sam ignores him most of the time. Kind of sad for Benson, because he always wants to play..but at least he as a buddy now.
I have been really impressed with how Benson has welcomed Sam into the family. He brings a ball/toy to Sam and sits in front of him, wanting to play or he will lay down on his side in a submissive position (which is good). His characteristics are almost human-like. He is such a sweet boy and I am so proud of him.
With all that being said, we will be starting doggie school with Sam and Benson next week. They are both so strong and need to be trained on a leash. I am super excited for them to meet Chica and Buckley in the future! Here are some pictures!

Brandon and Sam



Me and Sam



Brandon gave Benson the almost empty peanut butter jar. He tried every angle to get down to the very bottom after cleaning the upper half of the jar. :)

2 comments:

  1. Sam looks so sweet and kind of sad. I bet the next pictures of him will show a happy, playful dog. Benson will take good care of him. Hug them both for me !
    Hi to Brandon.
    Love to you,Amy!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam! Yeah, Sam is still trying to get adjusted. He is such a sweetie. Benson is taking very good care of him. :) Hopefully he will get more comfortable here..he is probably stressed from all the recent changes. We miss you! Will be home in April. I am planning a bridal shower for Casey..hope you can come. Love you.

    ReplyDelete